Ohio School for the Deaf History
Sign Up Now
Patterson, Robert. "History of the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb." In Histories of American Schools for the Deaf, 1817-1893. Edward Allen Fay, ed. 3 volumes Washington, DC: Volta Bureau, 1893.
capacity of nearly 1,000 square feet. The front part, extending about twelve feet from the foot-lights, is enclosed in a chancel-box scene, sufficiently commodious for purposes of daily worship and evening lecture. The space between this and the stage background furnishes safe and convenient storage for our scenery and state fittings, which are the work of a practical scenic artist.
Since 1881 the platform in the chapel has been decorated every Sunday morning with flowers or a floral design made by our florist. For this pleasure we are indebted to Matthew Russell, a wealthy gentleman, who left a legacy of $20,000 to the Institution. This sum was reduced by litigation and compromise to $10,866, which came into the possession of the Institution in 1879. It was decided by the Board of Trustees to erect a conservatory with a part of the money, and work was commenced in the spring of 1880. When completed it was christened the Russell Conservatory. The central structure is twenty-six feet square and thirty feet high. The wings on either side are each 26x22 feet. The following year an annex, 50x22 feet, was built in the rear of the main conservatory, with a dome, twenty-one feet square. Later a propagating house, 50x9 feet, was built, and a rose house, 66x20 feet. In 1886, after the conservatory was finished, the remainder of the Russell fund was used to construct a bronzed iron fountain in front of the main building; costing, with the foundation and the iron fence around it, $1,172.77.
The health of the school has been excellent in the past sixty-three years. Forty-two pupils died during attendance, three by drowning and two on the railroad. The majority brought with them the seeds of disease from their summer vacation, succumbing to them. The first death occurred in 1843, fourteen years after the opening of the school in 1829.
Horatio Nelson Hubbell, first Superintendent, 1827-1851, was born in Brookfield, Conn., September 9, 1779; was graduated at the Cornwall School in Conn., and licensed to preach in 1827; was appointed in the same year to take charge of this Institution, then in embryo; spent eighteen months at the American Asylum in Preparing himself for his new duties, which he assumed in 1829; resigned his position in 1851; was