DeafBiographies.com

Ohio School for the Deaf History


Home

Facts

Search

Contents

Pictures

Schools

Sign Up Now
Login
 

Patterson, Robert. "History of the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb." In Histories of American Schools for the Deaf, 1817-1893. Edward Allen Fay, ed. 3 volumes Washington, DC: Volta Bureau, 1893.

Page 30

in the Superintendent of the Institution in 1880, and the appointment of Mr. E. J. Scott, a skilled deaf printer, has since emphasized the wisdom of the action. The office has printed the Mute's Chronicle for a quarter of a century with signal success. Since 1887 the office has done the printing of the State Board of Agriculture and the State Weather Bureau.

Until 1882 the trades of shoemaking, printing, and book-binding were carried on in the building, one hundred and thirty by thirty-five, erected in 1856. The growth of the work in the Bindery compelled the erection of a new building in 1882, and the transfer of the shoe shop and the printing office. In 1880, carpentry was placed on the list of trades, and in 1888, tailoring was added to the list. These four trades are taught in what is called the Industrial Building.

The School Department

The first opening of the school occurred on the 16th of October, 1829, with only one pupil, a little boy, Samuel W. Flenniken by name. He was in his twelfth year, looking bright and cute in a suit of home-spun, consisting of brown pantaloons and a gray jacket, buttoned up with two large brass buttons, and a coarse, close-fitting fur cap. Within half an hour of his arrival, Governor Morrow made his appearance, and taking the little boy by the hand, gave him an approving pat on the head. Other pupils arrived at different periods during the year, and when the term closed on the last Friday in July, 1830, the number had increased to ten. The second year, 1830-31, had thirteen pupils more, and an assistant teacher was appointed in the person of Danforth E. Ball, a mute, who was educated at the American Asylum. The growth of the school has been steady, as the following figures will show. One hundred and fifty-three pupils were enrolled during the first decade from 1829 to 1839; 251, from 1839 to 1849; 291, from 1849 to 1859; 355, from 1859 to 1869; 670 from 1869 to 1879; 574, from 1879 to 1889; and 229, since 1889. Twenty-five hundred and twenty-three have received instruction in the school since its opening in 1829. The twenty-one hundred and forty-seven pupils who have been discharged within the past sixty-three years have, with very few exceptions, become useful, law-abiding and self-supporting citizens.

The roll of teachers bears one hundred and nineteen names, twenty-six being graduates of the school. It is a fact worthy

Previous page Next page
   
   

Questions? Comments? Contact us!
amy@deafbiographies.com

© 2003-2007 DeafBiographies.com

This site last updated 5 January 2007.