Ohio School for the Deaf History
Sign Up Now
Patterson, Robert. "History of the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb." In Histories of American Schools for the Deaf, 1817-1893. Edward Allen Fay, ed. 3 volumes Washington, DC: Volta Bureau, 1893.
excavations-was the temporary obstruction of the sewer in the rear of the building."
The demolition of the old building was soon afterward begun, and by the fall of 1868 the new one was opened for the reception of pupils, the formal opening occurring on the 11th of February, 1869, when Gov. R. B. Hayes presided, and Rev. Collins Stone delivered an elaborate address upon the "History and Methods of Deaf-Mute Instruction." The style of architecture of the buildings is called the "Franco-Italian," because the campaniles or towers are of the form and appearance peculiar to the Italian order and their steep roofs and dormer windows of the French style.
The subject of the support of the Institution was a matter of no small perplexity, as the first report of the Board shows. The trustees say:
"For the support of the youth who may be sent to the Asylum, it is supposed that eighty dollars for each will be sufficient to defray the expense of boarding, tuition, fuel, etc., during the year. And should Legislative bounty, or individual liberality, enable the Board to support the instructors and other persons employed in the Asylum, the expense of each individual would be diminished in proportion. Perhaps the best plan is that adopted by the Legislatures of the several States, which have established, or are engaged in sustaining similar Institutions. These States have made, by law, full provision for the support of such a number of deaf mutes as they deemed sufficient to meet the necessities of the poor, among whom by far the largest portion of them are found. It is respectfully suggested, as a subject of inquiry, whether there may not be an act passed authorizing the payment by the Treasurer of State of the necessary expense, not exceeding eighty dollars each, of one pupil from each Senatorial District of the State, to be selected by the Senator or Representative of that District, for the time being, instead of one from each Judicial Circuit; with a provision that the Commissioners of any county, may partly or wholly defray the expense of supporting one for every ten thousand inhabitants, which the county may contain; allowing the support in like manner, of one, although the county should not contain that number of inhabitants. And further it