Ohio School for the Deaf History
Sign Up Now
Patterson, Robert. "History of the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb." In Histories of American Schools for the Deaf, 1817-1893. Edward Allen Fay, ed. 3 volumes Washington, DC: Volta Bureau, 1893.
the number of trustees was reduced to seven, and remained so until 1852, when all the Benevolent Institutions were placed under one Board of nine Trustees. A committee of three had control of the Institutions during the interim of the stated meetings of the Board. In 1856, the Institutions were re-organized, being placed under separate Boards of three Trustees each, which number continued until 1878. The number has, since then, been five, the Superintendent of the Institution discharging the duties of Secretary.
The Board, in its first report made to the Legislature in December 5, 1827, recommended that the Institution be located at Columbus for the following reasons:
"At this place it will be under the eye, and subject to the inspection of the Legislature, its immediate Patron, at all times.
"And the facilities of intercourse and conveyance, which are collected at this point, render it more convenience to every part of this State, and the north-western States, generally, than any other place."
In accordance with this recommendation, an act was passed by the Legislature, in 1829, appropriating $500 for the purchase of a suitable site in Columbus. Three outlets, containing about ten acres, then half a mile from the town, were bought for three hundred dollars-"a price considerably below the supposed value." Dr. Hoge owned one of the lots. They are now in the heart of the city, and are worth over $300,000. The grounds were, at first, divided by interior fences and devoted mainly to the raising of crops; but, in 1868, they were rearranged by a skilful landscape artist, presenting a fine variety of surface, with beautiful lawns, drives and walks. About the year 1850 the removal of the Institution to a country site began to be a subject of talk among the members of the Legislature, but it was strenuously opposed by Superintendent after Superintendent down to 1864.
The Board, in its first report, calculating upon dividing with the Kentucky Institution, founded in 1823, the patronage of the Mississippi Valley north and west of the Ohio River, counted upon an attendance of from fifty to seventy-five, and submitted plans for buildings which, it was hoped in view of "the low