Ohio School for the Deaf History
Sign Up Now
Patterson, Robert. "History of the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb." In Histories of American Schools for the Deaf, 1817-1893. Edward Allen Fay, ed. 3 volumes Washington, DC: Volta Bureau, 1893.
pecuniary aid. The application was rejected, on the ground that such an Institution should have a central location. Mr. Chute's connection with the enterprise ceased. He was afterward chaplain of the old Ohio Penitentiary. Before any organization was effected by the act of incorporation, a school for the deaf was started in May, 1827, in Tallmadge, now in Summit county, Ohio. In the village was a man, Bradley by name, who had three deaf daughters in his family. Their condition excited the sympathy of the neighbors, and inquiry brought out the fact that there were other mutes in neighboring townships. A meeting of citizens was held March 18, 1827, and a resolution was adopted "to make an attempt to establish a school or asylum for the deaf and dumb." A committee was chosen, with full powers to arrange for a school, which, in the language of the Committee, "if public sentiment and benevolence shall justify, is intended to become a permanent institution." Mr. Colonel Smith, a mute who received six years instruction in the American Asylum and had taken up his residence in the village, was engaged for a school term of six months, tuition to be $6. The school was supported by private charity. The sum of $100 was voted by the Legislature, in 1828, for the salary of the teacher, and the same amount was granted for the next year, "should the school in Columbus not go into active operation." The latter money was not drawn from the treasury, the school having been closed. Eleven pupils were enrolled, most of whom afterward attended the Ohio Institution.
Board of Trustees
The act of incorporation provided for the appointment of a Board of Trustees by the Governor who was to be ex-officio President. The Board was to exercise the usual corporate powers and to hold property, the annual income of which should not exceed $30,000. The first Board consisted of eight members, who met and organized in July, 1827. Governor Trimble was President ex-officio; *Rev. James Hoge, D.D., Secretary, and Gustavus Swan, Esq., Treasurer. The number of trustees was increased to twelve the next year. Until 1845 the number fluctuated between twelve and fourteen. In 1846, the Governor ceased to be ex-officio President, and the Board has since appointed one of their own number to discharge the duties of President. Then
*Dr. Hoge continued Secretary to the Board until April, 1848.